One of my favourite things – flamingos
First and foremost thank you so much to all of you for all your lovely messages asking “where are your blogs?!” True, unlike me, I haven’t blogged for a few days. I suppose I’ve had writer’s block or something. Anyway, here I am again and today’s blog is a continuation of “My Favourite Things”, in this case flamingos, beautiful creatures that I have always loved. A few facts about flamingos you perhaps didn’t know:
– They are found in all of the Americas, Africa, Asia and some parts of Europe
– They grow up to 4’6” tall
– They weigh up to 9 lbs
– They live 20-30 years
– Male and female look the same
– They lay just the one egg pa in a nest built out of mouthfuls of mud
– Their wing span is up to 5’
– They run first in order to take flight
– There are 6 different species
– They fly at up to 37 mph and can cover 300 miles
– They eat with their heads upside down, suck water in and then let it drain out from the back of their beaks when their heads are up again, while a “finger”-type of tongue scoops up edible goods from the mouthful of water. Clever !
– They get their pinky colour from crustaceans and algae
– They have no predators
– They live in colonies and will not nest unless there are other flamingos around
– Baby flamingos go in to a nursery, like penguins
– And I love them!
Catherine Broughton is a novelist, a poet and an artist. She is widely travelled and writes regularly for magazines and blog sites. Her sketches are on her web site http://turquoisemoon.co.uk . Her books are available from Amazon and on Kindle, or can be ordered from several leading book stores.
If you enjoyed this item please share.
Catherine Broughton is a novelist, a poet and an artist. Her books are available as e-books on this site:-
https://payhip.com/b/tEva “A Call from France”
https://payhip.com/b/OTiQ “French Sand”
https://payhip.com/b/BLkF ”The Man with Green Fingers”
https://payhip.com/b/1Ghq “Saying Nothing”
They are also available on Amazon & Kindle, or can be ordered as paperbacks from most leading book stores and libraries.